Automation is the area in MailChimp where you set up autoresponders.
Autoresponders are an email or sequence of emails which are sent automatically. It’s set up once and sent over and over again without any effort on your part. (The effort is made during the setup phase.) It’s basically set it and forget it. 🙂
Newsletters and autoresponders are completely different and used for completely different purposes.
Regular email campaigns are sent when the business decides to send an email about the topic that the business chooses. Regular emails blasts are used to keep your brand in front of your readers to help them remember your business when it comes time to buy.
Autoresponders are sent to a subscriber when they take a specific action like, click a link or request specific info. They’re sent 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Use them to help your readers purchase your products or services.
Both types of emails have their purpose and can be used at the same time.
What type of autoresponders can you use for your business?
There are so many ways automation can be used, here are just a few.
- A welcome to my list / thank you for subscribing email
- Free opt-in offer download
- Onboarding a new customer
- To remind someone to purchase items in an abandoned shopping cart on an eCommerce site
- Send a course via email
- When someone visits a certain page on your website (This is a goal based automation sequence.)
- Send anniversary or birthday emails with coupons or discounts
- After the sale, thank you for purchase and upsell add-on products
- Take someone through a sales cycle via email, ie. a nurture series or drip campaign:
- Teach about your product or industry
- Help people recognize the benefit of using your product
- Answer the most frequently asked questions about a product
- Offer a phone or in-person meeting to talk about the product
- Give free samples or discounts on your product
Why should you use autoresponders?
You could spend every minute of every day sending these emails yourself and still not be able to keep up, let alone do any of the other things required to run a successful business.
Automation lets you build a relationship with your potential customers by sending them info when they want it.
Autoresponders use the same template and content and can be sent over and over and over again. They’re brand new to the subscriber who’s getting the emails, even though they’ve been sent many times.
Can I stop sending newsletters now?
No, autoresponders and newsletters or email blasts have different purposes.
Newsletters are a frequent touch for your readers. They’re sent on a regular basis on a schedule and they’re sent to everyone on your list. They’re intended to give people info the business wants them to know. For example to announce an event with a time deadline or a sale with an expiration date. A one-time blast of information.
Newsletters and eblasts are about the business and address business goals and needs.
Autoresponders are very specific info about a specific topic that only people who are interested in that topic will receive. They’re not for everyone. Autoresponders are long term and made to be used over and over again.
Autoresponders are about the reader and answer reader questions and concerns.
Using autoresponders can build your business without adding a whole lot of overhead.
But using newsletters and autoresponders together can be powerful.
By addressing customer needs in your autoresponders and business needs in your newsletters you can fulfill your business goals and give your customers the information they need to take action.
Can you see a use for autoresponders in your business? Let me know in the comments below if you have questions.